Friday, June 25, 2010

The First Leg of the Journey

First off, I have no idea how I am not yet dead.  (Oh, I'm not dead yet, no I'm really really not!)  I've been traveling since the 7th.  First to London to visit my friend Carrie (aka wifey) at King's College where she is attending grad school.  We then went on a week long extravaganza venturing to Rome, Munich, Fussen, Goerlitz/Zgorzelec and Berlin (another blog for anther day).  Then returning to London for a few more days, flying out on the 22nd and meeting up Renana to begin this road trip at 11 am on the 23rd.  I must be mad.  But really, I wouldn't have it any other way.  This is, after all, my last hurrah at being a careless college student before having to enter the job market and work forever and ever amen.  Plus I've been to the UK, Europe, and South America but somehow have not been further west than Chicago, Illinois in my own country.  This clearly needed immediate fixing.

Wednesday found Renana and I traveling for 10+ hours Pittsburgh to St. Louis.  Many playlists were built and road games were immediately instituted which include but are not limited to the license plate game, amount of trucker horn honks, and tallying roadkill (tires are winning so far).  Once in Saint Louis, we stayed with Elaine and Barry, very kind friends of Renana's.  After delicious food and delicious conversation we promptly collapsed.  In the morning we got a bit of a late start due to a few pit stops including but not limited to the post office and Target to exchange Renana's seizing camera for a functional one.  Our next stop was the long anticipated Ted Drewes frozen custard which is legendary for their vanilla custard and concretes (the vanilla mixed with flavors).  It's customary to hold it upsidedown to show how thick and concrete-like it is (appetizing... I know ;)

 Our next stop was the Gateway Arch which we rode 650 feet to the top in this bizarre egg-shaped train-like elevator.  The view was spectacular. 





Next it was two hours to Rolla, Missouri where a half-scale model of Stonehenge was built by some druids at the Missouri University of Science and Technology.  I actually was supposed to go to Stonehenge proper outside of London on the summer solstice this past Sunday to Monday to see all the pagan shenanigans at sunrise but that fell through when wifey and I realized I wouldn't get any sleep the day before I had 10 hours of flying to contend with.  This was a worthy substitute with though.  It has a Polaris window to find the North Star as well as an Analemma which at noon shows the month by the light passing through a hole and somehow projecting a figure eight or "analemma" onto the stone.  Sadly, we did not find any wealthy future-engineer husbands while roaming the institute.

Finally we hunkered down and drove the remaining 4 hours here to Tulsa where we have many sites to see in the morning.  Look for the giant whale in Catoosa as well as going fruit picking next on our journey to Amarillo, TX.  May the road rise up to meet you. <3






Song of the Day: Route 66 -- Bobby Troup
Quote of the Day: "Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry." -- Jack Kerouac



No comments:

Post a Comment